The Environment and Pollution Engineering Department
The specialty of environmental engineering and pollution is one of the disciplines that is concerned with studying environmental problems, analyzing and interpreting them in a logical and scientific way, and working to find appropriate solutions to them and mitigating their negative effects on the environment by following engineering and mathematical methods.
In other words, environmental engineering is one of the fields that aims to benefit from the environment from engineering applications and harness them to protect them in a scientific way, so we will review together all the information needed by any student who wants to study the specialty of environmental engineering.
The Department of Environmental Engineering and Pollution was created in 2011 to be the sixth engineering department in the Kirkuk Technical College. The Environment and Pollution Engineering Department seeks to prepare a technical engineer who has the ability to solve various environmental problems and reduce pollution of all kinds (water – air – soil) and educational programs are taught distinguished students within the specialization or in general in the department, in addition to teaching sound scientific analysis skills. The first course graduated in 2014-2015, where the number of graduated courses reached six until 2020.
• Graduation of specialized engineers with a specialization in environmental sciences.
• Producing scientific and applied research in the department’s specialization for the purpose of solving pollution problems.
• Active participation in the renaissance and progress of society through holding seminars, conferences, and continuing education on the issues of environmental pollution, its reduction, and its developments.
• Adopting a continuous improvement approach for all the various events and activities of the scientific department to ensure the achievement of the mission and objectives of the department and to keep pace with the development and change in the field of specialization.
• Granting initial certificates in the environmental specialization.
Specialized contents of the scientific department
The student in this department must pass the four academic years and through them he must cover practical and theoretical teaching hours ranging from 3500-3600 hours and total units ranging between 140-160 units.
The department is based on the annual academic system.
The department includes several laboratories in which practical scientific experiments are conducted in the field of environmental engineering and pollution, the most important of which are:
• Air Pollution and Radioactive Pollution Laboratory: Experiments are conducted that pertain to both air pollutants and radioactive pollution, in which the student learns about the devices used to measure air pollutants and their different types and how to estimate radioactive pollution and estimate its negative effects.
• Soil Mechanics Laboratory: The Soil Mechanics Laboratory aims to teach students basic experiments in everything related to soil and trains students on the devices and mechanisms used to measure the most important soil pollutants and ways to treat them.
• Laboratory of Chemistry and Microbiology Techniques: The laboratory is considered one of the main and important laboratories, where experiments related to chemistry and biology are conducted, in which students learn the most important types of microorganisms and how to harness them to treat environmental pollutants.
• Laboratory of Water and Applied Ecology: The Laboratory of Hydrology and Applied Ecology in the Department of Environmental Engineering and Pollution aims to teach students to estimate and identify water pollutants in addition to measuring environmental variables and introducing them to the distribution and compatibility of living organisms with their surrounding environments and how these organisms are affected by the interrelationships between all living things and their environments .
• Computer Lab: The computer lab aims to provide students with the skills to use computers and master electronic programs for all environmental work, which will develop (environmental engineer) in line with the labor market.